Thursday 6 October 2011

cpd23 - thing 22

Volunteering to get experience

I have volunteered once in my life to gain more experience - this was just after I had qualified, and wanted to get some more library work under my belt while I applied for jobs.  I went back to the university where I had done my diploma work experience month, and asked if I could do any work for them for a while, as I really enjoyed working with the people there.  It gave me the chance to work with some more people, and it kept me busy (and out of the apartment for a while!)

If work experience as part of an academic course also counts as volunteering (it is unpaid work!) then I did a weeks work while still at school - again in a univeristy setting - which I loved, and the month as part of my postgraduate diploma course.

As I've said on this blog before, I'm all for volunteers - they do a great job, and for society as a whole, we'd be lost without them!  I do worry about people devaluing our profession as they then feel that people with little to no training can do the job, but hey, I'm all for trained professionals who just need a bit of experience for their CV!






No comments:

Post a Comment