Wednesday 23 November 2011

Treasure hunts - Library style!

I got sent a link to this great webpage, where a journalism professor in America has come up with a new way to get his students to look for primary sources that are not on the internet - he has come up with a Library Treasure hunt. (click to use the link)

I think this is such a cool idea!  Of course, I would think that ideally you would need a *really* big library to make the most of this, as I can just imagine sending students running up and down the stairs to find the next clue. It's a fantastic way to get a lot of library information in what is essentially a game: and I'm sure the incentives he gives for the students with the top marks helps!  I bet that the students will retain a lot more information on 'how to use the library', rather than just from a library tour.  I'd love to do this, but I don't know if our library is big enough - maybe something on a smaller scale would work?  Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. We held a treasure/scavenger hunt in our small public library 2 years ago. It was available over a 2 week period and only a few people were ever doing it at the same time. I'll contact you by email if I can locate it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to hear from you - I don't have my email address out for public access, but can certainly send it to you :) What's the best way to contact you?

    ReplyDelete