Tuesday 19 July 2011

cpd23 - thing 4

I know, I'm way behind the times on these!  What can I say?  Closing down one library, and having to transfer all the materials from there to another site and unpack them again doesn't leave you with much spare time.  (only about 25 crates left to go!)  However, I am determined to keep on with cpd23, as I'm finding it really interesting.

Okay, so thing 4 - twitter, RSS, and pushnote.  Lets look at each individually:

Twitter
I did already have a twitter account, but it has never been used.  As it's set up as a personal account, I thought I might as well set up another 'work' account, which could more easily be linked into my blog.  To this end, I've used almost the same name there (cpd23InfoAssist) so I should be recognisable from one to the other if anyone really wants to find me.  Thinking of personal branding, I've also used the same profile information, and user picture.
I still wouldn't say I'm completely at ease with twitter: I have made some 'tweets', and I am following 10 other accounts: some individuals which looked interesting, some professional organisations, and a couple of fun ones more linked to hobbies  :)  I've tweeted 5 times, and actually have 8 followers which is quite fun!  I'm honestly not sure how much I would be likely to use it though, so I will try and keep up with it, but can't guarantee anything!

RSS
As suggested, I signed up to GoogleReader for the RSS feeds.  It is handy having everything feeding into one area - I can see how it would help me to keep up with a lot of different information.  I do think that I will have to be quite selective with what I subscribe to though, as I could see that it could become too much of a good thing, with too much information coming in to keep up with.  As I don't want to find myself scanning rather than reading pages, I'll keep it trimmed down.

Pushnote
I haven't been able to look in depth at this, as it is blocked by my works internet filter, but I had a look about the FAQs while at home.  I haven't signed up for an account, as I honestly can't see when I would use it, but maybe will have a closer look again at some point.

Overall, RSS has probably been the area that I have had most use from for this topic, though I can see that twitter could become useful if I was to link up with some more cpd23 users there.

No comments:

Post a Comment