Thursday 28 July 2011

cpd23 - thing 7

Look at me - I'm on a roll!  I'm going to get caught up with cpd23: at least, until I go on holiday in a week, when I will probably fall behind again (especially as the students get back the week I'm back to work, and am unlikely to find time then to even check my email, let alone blog!)

So, thing 7 - face-to-face networks and professional organisations.

The only professional organisation that I've been a part of is CILIP - the Chartered Institue of Library and Information Professionals.  I was a member for years, but cancelled my membership when I went on maternity leave (as statutory maternity pay isn't much!) and there was no option for suspending membership for any length of time.  I fully intended on re-joining when I returned to work, but that was a year ago now, and I still haven't got around to it.

Whereas I did find it rather expensive, it was useful to me at the time: I was a member of a number of different subgroups which I could change year on year depending on what my career was doing, and as my areas of interest changed.  I certainly amassed a large number of journals!  I never did formally join the local CILIP network, which would have allowed for face-to-face interaction (for a number of reasons, this didn't appeal).  It was useful for keeping up to date with current trends and information.  However, I am in two minds about rejoining: ultimately, I think I will, as I still have leanings towards applying for and completing my chartership, but I don't know when this is likely to happen.  I can't say that it really had much of an impact on my career to the point I cancelled membership, but I can see that it would have an impact if I was to go for chartership.  On a personal note, the people who I needed to contact at any time were lovely, and very helpful  :)

I think I'll spend some time browsing through all the organisations listed by cpd23 on their home page: there are rather a lot of them!  I have a feeling that maybe some of the more informal groups would appeal to me: I do like Hack Library School, and LISPN.  I also like the idea of joining some of the international groups, to get some different perspectives on what we're all doing.  This will definately be something to dedicate some time to.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment