Tuesday 6 September 2011

cpd23 - thing 12


Social Media

Social media is such a huge thing now - both for working life, and for personal use.  I would say that most people would use these tools for pure 'social' purposes: arranging to meet people out and about, 'face-to-face' screen time, online chats etc.  For me, I've only ever really used these media for personal use: facebook, and chatrooms etc.  I never really wanted to use them for my work life.

And now?  I can definitely see where the benefits would be of merging these media into my professional life.  Take this blog, for example.  Through cpd23, I'm able to contact many other people on the same scheme: some of whom may be in the same kind of job that I am, and some in completely different areas, but all brought together by the desire to learn and widen their perceptions.  It's very useful to see what others are doing: it's definitely made me feel like I'm part of a wider community.  I think that I will increase my use of media to further my professional persona - linkedin appeals to me, but I feel I would need to have a good look at what information I would want to put there before I put anything up.

However, I can't see myself as ever completely merging my personal use of social media with my professional use.  I prefer having a distinction between them both: I'd rather be able to keep my 'personal' life to my close friends and family, without overloading them with working details - on the flip side, I don't think my work colleagues need details or photos of my personal life (though if you ask them, may I already share more than enough when I'm chatting to [or at!] them!)

No comments:

Post a Comment