Wednesday 7 September 2011

cpd23 - thing 15

Attending, presenting at and organising seminars, conferences and other events

I'm going to have to hold my hands up to this one, and admit that I've been to relatively few professional events.  It's been mostly due to time: in other workplaces, I was never really given the opportunity to go, and where I work now it's more time constraints.  I have been to a few smaller events run by CILIP over the years, but only ever as an attendee, never as a speaker.

I have enjoyed the events I have been to: they seemed to be well organised, with good speakers.  (they also had good coffee and biscuits at break time, which also helps).  I'd recommend others to make sure that the people they have asked to speak are well prepared: one talk I did attend did have a speaker who couldn't quite get along with the powerpoint they were meant to be using.  I would like to attend other events - I do find them very interesting.

In terms of presenting at events: this is not something I have ever been asked to do (I don't think I work at a high enough level to warrant public speaking!).  In addition to this, though many people may disagree with me, I'm actually very shy (and yet I work in a public facing profession?!?).  I do tend to cover this by talking a lot, but I don't know if I could ever feel comfortable talking to large groups of people.  I also can't see myself organising any events: but let's never say never!

No comments:

Post a Comment