Wednesday 7 September 2011

cpd23 - thing 17

This has been postponed by the cpd team - I'll come back and edit this later.  I want to keep this post as a placeholder though, or my numbers will be out of sequence - ocd, me?  Never  :D

EditEdit: thing 17 - Prezi and Slideshare

Prezi
Well, first impressions - I like!  It's definitely an improvement on powerpoint in my opinion: I do like how you can work your way through a screen in so many different ways.  There are some quite clever ways to draw attention to the different points you want to make when giving a presentation.

The reality is, I don't know how much use it would be to me really - I'm not often (read virtually never) in a position where I need to stand up in front of a group and give a talk with an on-screen presentation.  I'd definitely use this though if I was!  I'm going to continue having a play about with it, and will see if I can adapt it to anything I need for my work.  Maybe something along the lines of an online tutorial on using the library, with what services we offer?  It could be something for students to work through themselves as part of induction... hmm, I think this could do with some more thought...

Slideshare
I get the point of this: a huge online repository for powerpoints etc.  I can see how this would be of benefit to a lot of users: both in being able to get ideas for things you would like to do, and also for getting your own work out there for others to see.  You may find that your presentation is just what someone else needs for inspiration!

I don't think I'll be using this in my work though - the presentations that I create are in a shared work drive, so they can be copied / changed / adapted by others from my team as necessary.  At this point, I don't feel the need to upload them to become public content.


No comments:

Post a Comment