Tuesday 6 September 2011

cpd23 - thing 13

Google Docs, Wikis, and Dropbox

The only one of these applications that I have used prior to this post has been Wikis - I do like looking for information on Wikipedia, though I have never edited or added to any of the topics there.  I also use a work wiki site, which was set up for Library staff, where we posted on a variety of different topics from cataloguing questions, to organising our christmas night out! (must actually get posting on there again: where did my password go?...)  I do find them a very useful tool for sharing information between people, and I really like the idea that many people from all areas can contribute information to them - though I am also very aware that this means that any information found can be very subject to personal bias on the viewpoint of whoever is editing.

I've had a look at Google Docs and Dropbox, and can definitely see the advantages of keeping information there - especially if you want to share information with someone who is not in your workplace structure.  For work purposes, though, I don't think I will be setting up any accounts just now as I have access to a shared department drive where we can store documents for wider access: we are all able to store and edit documents there as and when necessary.  On a personal note, it is something that I might consider in the future for sharing materials with friends and family if we're working on any projects - I do like the look of Google Docs in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment